Cairncastle Old Presbyterian Church
(A congregation of the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland)
The Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland is a small but significant denomination with a historical witness to liberal Christianity. The Presbytery of Bangor and the Cairncastle Old Presbyterian Church invite applicants for the position of:
MINISTER OF RELIGION
(Self-Supporting Minister) Minimum average of around 6 Hours per week.
Beyond a minimum average of 6 hours per week, the successful candidate would be free to give of her/his time as s/he felt able.
Successful candidates will be Ordained and/or Installed in accordance with the Constitution and Code of Discipline of the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland.
The Cairncastle Old Presbyterian Church anticipates providing a taxable honorarium of £5200 per annum, plus travel at rates set by General Synod, and other necessary expenses up to a sum of £800.00.
Role Description: Self-Supporting Minister of Religion (SSM).
This is a rare opportunity for a visionary individual.
Ideally, the person chosen will help to develop links with the local community, the Christian Churches and other faith communities.
An SSM Working agreement may, by mutual agreement, include
Duties & Responsibilities of the Role:
• Plan and prepare worship services for 3 Sundays out of every month (with the church being closed over the month of August).
• Organise pulpit supply for those weeks not covered by the above role.
• Visit members at Home, Hospital, or in Care settings as part of pastoral ministry.
• Conduct occasional services e.g. Baptisms, Communions, Weddings, and Funerals.
• Respond to events/crisis within local community appropriately and deal with conflict compassionately.
• Cooperate with clergy of other denominations in local community.
• Inspire the church in vision-building and service within the Community.
• Provide support for all, regardless of Class or Creed.
Administration and Organisation:
• Lead study/discussion groups as appropriate.
• Chair and/or participate in, meetings etc.
• Be willing to carry out other duties from time to time (such as Minister in Charge of a Vacant Congregation) as may be required by the Presbytery or Synod.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Be able and willing to accept the Constitution and Code of Discipline of the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland.
• Have a liberal Christian theological position.
• Have a commitment to Ecumenism and have had involvement in working with other Christian Denominations.
• Should hold an appropriate degree or other recognised qualification.
• Have good communication skills and have a good rapport with both adults and young people in the congregation and the community.
• The successful applicant will be required to undergo an Enhanced Access NI disclosure due to working with children and vulnerable adults
Closing date: Wednesday 14th June 2023